Did you know that there is a risk of seizures after the MMR vaccine?
The risk of seizures after MMR vaccine is:
- 1/641 children in general;
- 1/252 in siblings of children with a history of febrile seizures;
- 1/51 in children with a history of febrile seizures.
We further recall that:
- 5% of febrile seizures result in epilepsy;
- The risk of seizures due to measles is 1/3000;
- The risk of dying from measles is 1 / 10.000.
Although a personal or family history of seizures is considered a precaution to MMR vaccination, it is not considered a contraindication by the CDC. Doctors who only know the contraindications of the CDC may not know the significant risk of seizures after MMR vaccination. Make sure your doctor is aware of the latest research on the risk of seizures following the MMR vaccine.